Friday, June 26, 2009

An Unexpected Birthday...

Because of the given circumstance, I wasn't expecting to have such a great birthday this year, but it turned out to be quite nice. I guess maybe because I dropped my expectations or because I didn't expect too much from anyone because they've already done so much for me for the past month. Who knows, but it turned out really pleasant. I really spent most of the day as I have been lately - lying down, sitting down, taking a small stroll around the house, and changing out my IV bag.

On a different note, I received so many phone calls, texts, and facebook posts wishing me a happy birthday and a quick recovery, along with a wonderful visit from 3very great friends of mine who brought me a heavily frosted (and I'm sure fat free) beautiful cake along with lots of laughter and good company. I received 3 wonderful phone calls of great family singing to me and cheering me up. My cute daughters colored a big banner with their cousins and hung it up in my living room and my husband surprised me by sneaking me out of the house for a bit and taking me to do one of my favorite things - get a pedicure!

I was a little nervous about going out in public a) for fear I would frighten people to death with my awesome haircut and fanny-pack IV and b) I wasn't suppose to be out and about for fear of infection and sickness and germs, etc., but it felt so good to be out and while I was there, I met this really wonderful lady. She sat down beside me and we got to talking. She was asking me about my surgeries and I was talking to her and found out her Dad had just passed away the day before and she was getting his funeral arrangements put together in Las Vegas. She was so nice and pleasant and didn't make me feel weird or out of place. It was really nice. When we were both finishing up, she leaned over to me and said, "I'd like to pay for your pedicure." I told her that was really nice, but not necessary and she insisted, telling me that she really felt like doing something nice for someone today. It nearly brought me to tears and it was just one of those shockingly really kind and random things that never happens. My husband didn't find out about it until he went to pay and she really didn't want me to tell anyone, but I just wanted to share this awesome story because it made my day. For someone random to do that for me and all these kind things people having been doing for me this entire month, I just feel overwhelmingly blessed and I hope deep down inside, people know how much everything means to me. It has made this trying time just a little brighter and a little easier to deal with even though it has been so hard.

So Richard is gone now to a ball tournament and I am basically alone with my girls for the rest of my birthday night, but I don't mind, because I have had a fantastic day and I think, in a weird way, this may be one of the best birthdays I've ever had because I've realized just how many wonderful people I am blessed to know and call friends in my life. Thanks to all of you I know and to that one kind stranger who really brightened up my day.

6 comments:

Rachelle said...

Happy Birthday!! It good to hear that you are feeling fairly well. Have a wonderful, restful summer

mommy princess said...

You're pedi's so darn cute! What a sweet lady, there are good people out there in the world. I can see that story making a very nice addition to church talk or lesson one day. Your boys played well and were very helpful while at my house. Happy Birthday! Love ya ;)

Nelson News said...

I'm sobbing as I read that! I am giving a talk tomorrow in sacrament meeting & I'm using your sweet stranger story. I can't believe all that you have been through, I will keep you in my prayers. You are amazing! Love ya

Raelene said...

I just want you to know that I have been on the verge of tears the whole time reading your blogs! I also feel like a crappy friend for not being there as much as everyone else has been for you! I am so glad you had a great birthday and your pedicure looks so patriotic! You really are the strongest person I know, you are such an inspiration to me and I am so lucky to have you as a friend! You are in my prayers and keep treckin cuz it will all be over before you know it and you'll be back to your old busy super mom self! love ya tons!

Randi said...

It was nice to be able to visit with you while you were in Salt Lake. I am glad you are starting to feel better. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Keep smiling!

Becky Seymour said...

Yes, Happy Birthday (a little late, sorry!) I am glad you got to have a great day like that. I sure hope you are hangin in there. I got that online school job, so I won't be at three falls next year. I will let you know more, when I know more...Take care...rest...and heal!