Monday, April 21, 2008

Kite Festival Nightmare!!!




If any of you have ever been to the kite festival, with kids, you know that it is quite a challenge, when you have as many as I do, to keep them all with you at all times. Well, I thought I would be smart and use the buddy system, but Rhett ended up getting lost...Guess who was his buddy? (ME) Anyway, this is the story. I was there alone because Richard usually is working at the kite festival, but he was at a softball tournament in Delta. So I had to go anyway because the drill team was doing the kite war contest and I had to be there with the girls. While I was helping them get ready, my little guy climbed out of his stroller and escaped the gated area in which we were in. I immediately ran to Richard's boss (who was driving around a sporty little golf cart) and she radioed everyone and one of his coworkers finally found him after 20 minutes! Those were the longest 20 minutes of my life...I thought I was going to die after circling the whole festival about 3 times along with everyone else. I was so thankful he was found. Needless to say, I strapped him back in his stroller and had everyone keep a death's eye on him. You know that feeling of wanting to hug and strangle your child at the same time...yeah that about sums it up. I don't think I've ever hugged him quite as tight. Anyway, our drill team girls ended up taking 1st place and winning $1000 for our team so it was an awesome ending to a scary day! Here are a couple of pics.

2 comments:

Nelson News said...

Oh, my. I would have totally freaked. Glad that you found him safe and happy and congrats on the 1st place finish.

Aunt Vera said...

I lost Ryan when he was 3 in the Blvd Mall in Las Vegas! I was so mad that they would not lock the building up. But we found him sitting in a flower shop with the worker. He saw the fountain in the middle and ran for it when I was not looking. It is a feeling you can not describ deep enough and the release you get when they are found is profound! Sure glad you got to him before evil did. Life can be scary and beautiful. Love ya, Aunt Vera